Life with Pugs

Monday, July 07, 2008

Here it is!

Miss Gayle requested the recipe for my grandma's coconut pie, so I went through my recipes and found this one, which I think is my grandma's recipe.

Coconut Cream Pie
Filling:
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
2 3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 tbsp butter
Dash of salt

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 cup sugar
Extra coconut

Separate eggs, and set egg whites aside. In large saucepan, mix together sugar, egg yolks, flour, milk and salt. Over medium heat, stir constantly until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove from heat and add vanilla, butter and coconut. Pour mixture into prepared pie crust.

Beat egg whites on high until stiff. Continue whipping while gradually adding cream of tartar and 1/8 cup sugar. Top pie with meringue and sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on top.

(I don't have her crust recipe, but any crust works fine).

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home