Life with Pugs

Monday, June 09, 2008

Not Much to Say.....

Has it really been an entire week since I last blogged? It has been one of those weird weeks where everything and nothing has been going on all at once. I feel kind of overwhelmed, but it will all be okay.

We had our book club meeting tonight (at my house--I love hosting get-togethers!), and we reviewed Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. I loved this book and have many pages marked of things that really stood out to me.

One passage that I especially loved (because of our recent visit to San Francisco) was Steinbeck's description of San Francisco. I just think his words are so beautiful:
"San Francisco put on a show for me. I saw her across the bay, from the great road that bypasses Sausalito and enters the Golden Gate Bridge. The afternoon sun painted her white and gold--rising on her hills like a noble city in a happy dream. A city on hills has it over flat-land places. New York makes its own hills with craning buildings, but this gold and white acropolis rising wave on wave against the blue of the Pacific sky was a stunning thing..."

Love it! Such a great read!

6 Comments:

  • Beautiful passage and very apt. :) Thank-you for making me feel vaugely literary today.

    By Blogger Nevis, at 11:19 AM  

  • ooohhh steinbeck.
    he's a master.
    i need to read that book.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Archie and Melissa, at 6:31 AM  

  • Hi Leah
    Your book club sounds like so much fun! Thank you for your nice comments today! You made my day!
    :) Melissa

    By Blogger Archie and Melissa, at 6:32 AM  

  • Such a beautiful passage, I've always wanted to visit San Fran.

    By Blogger Magnolia Sun, at 7:09 AM  

  • what other fun books have you read?
    we'll be in south fork last week of july with mom and dad... flying into co springs last sat...

    By Blogger Greg and Bobbie, at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home