Life with Pugs

Thursday, May 29, 2008

SF Day 3

Sunday was our last day in SF, and we woke up a beautiful, sunny day! We headed to North Beach, where I had the most amazing breakfast. We went into a little bakery, and I ordered homemade granola with yogurt and fresh fruit. It was outstanding, and I wish I had it again right now!


We then headed to Fisherman's Wharf to catch the ferry to Alcatraz. We arrived a bit early, and Jason was still hungry, so we stopped to get him some tea and a crepe to snack on. It was a banana and Nutella crepe, and I LOVE Nutella! We then walked down and hopped on the boat over to Alcatraz.

We really, really enjoyed our visit to Alcatraz. The history of the island is so amazing--I had no idea that families of the prison guards lived on the island, and I didn't know that a group of American Indians lived on the island for 19 months in the sixties (after the prison closed) to protest being forced onto reservations. The audio tour of the prison was very good, and the flowers and birds on the island were beautiful. We loved it and spent several hours out there!


We did a little shopping on the Wharf when we got back, and had In 'N Out for lunch (Jason's favorite). We spent a little time that afternoon in Chinatown (not as long as I wanted), then headed to our hotel for another nap. We had dinner at The Stinking Rose, a garlic restaurant in North Beach, and had an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista. It is right off one of the cable car lines, so it was so fun to sit inside and sip our coffee as we looked out the window at the twinking lights outside and the cable cars going by.


We then took a very fun cable car ride back and walked to our hotel. It was a wonderful way to end our wonderful trip to San Francisco!


The boat to Alcatraz

On the ride over to the island

One of the cells--I don't know what I was expecting, but it was so tiny


The view of the city from the island


There were THOUSANDS of seagulls on the island! Apparently it is a wonderful habitat for birds, because there are no predators around. It is seagull nesting season, so there were tons of them sitting on nests. They even had part of the island closed to visitors so the gulls would not be disturbed.


One of the windows in an original building on the island. I just love it because of the contrast between light and dark (plus if you look closely, you can see a sailboat off in the distance).


The flowers on the island were beautiful! I was so excited to see calla lillies, because I have only seen them in flower shops!


Our lunch stop


Dinner (see the sign above? "We season our garlic with a little food." They even had garlic wine, garlic martinis and garlic ice cream!)

I was still full from our late lunch, so I only had salad.

Jason had lamb wtih garlic mashed potatoes

Mmmmm, Irish coffee

Our last cable car ride of the trip

4 Comments:

  • What fun! I have also been to Alcatraz and loved the tour. Also, the lilies were my favorite thing there. I don't think I would like garlic ice cream. Did you try it?

    By Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone, at 7:30 AM  

  • What an amzing trip! You took so many wonderful photos!
    I am so glad you had such a great time!
    Isn't riding fun? I have done several organized rides and done about 7 100 mile courses. I am always glad I did them, but now that I know I can, I prefer the 50-65 mile rides. I always come in feeling great, and i still have part of my day to do more things.
    :) m

    By Blogger Archie and Melissa, at 8:21 AM  

  • Wow! Looks like you guys had an awesome time! you'll have to let us know what your fav parts were...!

    and I didn't live in SF proper...I lived in a suburb (Santa Clara) but I did have family that were a part of the huge height ashbury district.

    By Blogger Nevis, at 11:06 AM  

  • If you EVER want to talk about scrapbooking, trust me, I LOVE talking about it. And I know TONS of places where you can get ideas, inspiration, products, scraplifing ideas, etc. Let me know!

    By Blogger Nevis, at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home