Life with Pugs

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sad.......

Tonight Jason and I had to go by the local animal shelter to pick up something, so while we were there we had to look at the dogs. It was SO sad--I almost cried while we were there and got teary in the car thinking about it. There were so many beautiful dogs just wanting to be loved, wanting a home. Some were so scared and shaking, they were hiding in the corner of the kennels, others were eager for attention. They were all behind glass, but a couple of times I put my hand up to the glass, and they tried to sniff my hand, begging for me to pet them. It was soooo heartbreaking.

Whenever the time comes for me to get more dogs, I don't know if I will ever be able to get a puppy again. There are so many dogs in shelters and rescues that need homes. I have often considered volunteering at an animal shelter, but I think I would be an emotional wreck. I know some of you have worked with rescue, and I so admire those of you who do. Thank you for all you do!

8 Comments:

  • I totally know what you mean! I've been visiting tons of shelters lately looking at the kitties, and I want to take them all home!!! So sad...

    By Blogger Sharla, at 8:43 PM  

  • Yes, that's why we have THREE kitties now! It's too hard to give them all back to the shelter after we foster them.

    By Blogger Tracy, at 10:37 PM  

  • hi leah!
    I totally feel just like you do.
    i am so thankful for all the people who foster and take care of these wonderful creatures.
    melissa

    By Blogger Archie and Melissa, at 6:35 AM  

  • It is so sad. I agree, thanks to all the volunteers. I love puppies, but after having a couple, I love being able to adopt and older pug and give it a good home for the rest of its days. They just want to be loved!

    By Blogger Sandy, at 7:16 AM  

  • rescuing a dog was definitely one of the most rewarding things. having a puppy is fun and cute, but the feeling you get when you save a dog from what is surely death or neglect - it just goes waaay beyond cute.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:57 AM  

  • I agree. I am a "one dog" owner, but when it comes time for me to get another dog, I think I will go to the shelter as well.

    You're right, it is absolutely heartbreaking!!!

    By Blogger gayle, at 9:14 AM  

  • I completely agree. First of all, puppies are a TON of work. Secondly, I know what you mean. Any future pugs I get will have to be rescues.

    By Blogger Nevis, at 11:33 AM  

  • Oh, I drop tears like rain when it comes to thinking of all of the pets needing to find loving homes. I wish I could take them all!

    By Blogger Paula, at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home