Life with Pugs

Monday, August 27, 2007

We did it!

Well, we did our first ever organized bike ride on Saturday, and we survived! We rode in the Tour de Cure, which is a bike ride to raise money for the American Diabetes Association. We rode the 50K (31 mile) ride and had an awesome time. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to finish (with 3 short rest stops along the way). Jason could have gone much further (don't you hate guys who hardly ever work out but can still beat the socks off you when you have been working hard?) but it was a good distance for me. It was a great feeling at the end, because there were people cheering for us at the finish line. We really enjoyed it and look forward to our next biking adventure! Thank you to all who donated money to help our cause.

For those of you interested in our training regimen, unfortunately it is nothing spectacular. We started riding in June, and we did our 27 mile ride through Glenwood Canyon mid-July. We did a short training climb up a canyon road several weeks ago, and I ride my bike to and from work a couple times per week (6.5 miles each way). My goal someday is to do Ride the Rockies, which is a 6-7 day ride through the mountains. But I have LOTS of training to do before that happens! Thanks for all your support and encouragement!

8 Comments:

  • Wow!! A 31 mile ride! Go you guys. I don't think I could do that even if I wanted to. :) That is amazing. I see lots of people around here getting more and more into the biking thing, guess there is something to it huh? Well bravo again to you and to your hubby.

    By Blogger Becky, at 11:09 AM  

  • Congrats! How long did you train for it? How long did it take to complete? Sounds exhausting!!

    By Blogger Page, at 1:14 PM  

  • Wow, that is great! I bet you could ride double that here because it's so flat here. I can't imagine the climbs you make out there.

    By Blogger Sandy, at 5:59 PM  

  • G-wiz! that is a long bike ride!!! I hope you have a Gel Padded Bike seat!

    By Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥, at 8:11 PM  

  • Oh and By the way...I applaud you for this...My Husband is a Diabetic. I will have to share this post with him...
    Thank you!

    By Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥, at 8:13 PM  

  • Thanks so much, you guys, for your encouragement and support!

    Thanks, Lisa, for your sweet comment. I work as a diabetes educator and find it to be so rewarding. True, we have LOTS of frustrating patients, but the ones who are really grateful for what we are doing make it so worthwhile. I feel like it is such a worthy cause of which to be a part--almost 21 million people in the US have diabetes! And it can be a devastating disease, yet can also be very manageable. (Okay, I will get off my soapbox now!)

    By Blogger Leah, at 8:19 PM  

  • I didn't know you guys were doing that! That's awesome! Congratulations, rock star! My butt hurts just thinking about it.

    By Blogger Princess in Galoshes, at 12:27 PM  

  • Leah -

    I tried to access your link you sent me and to contribute to your race, but it hung up as I was concluding the operation and I don't know if it went through or not. But, I wanted to let you know that I tried and was thinking about you.

    Thanks so much for doing the race and for thinking of me to help support you guys. I tried, but don't know if it went through or not. I had all my information in and everything.

    Maybe next time.

    THANKS! Dee

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home