Life with Pugs

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Howdy ya'll!

I just arrived back from a fun-filled long weekend in San Antonio, Texas! I was so blessed to have the opportunity to meet my parents, brother and grandmother in San Antonio this weekend. My brother is one of the drum majors in his high school band, and this weekend they traveled to San Antonio for the Texas State Marching Band Championships! Not only was it great because I was able to spend time with the fam, but I was big into band in high school, so I felt a little like I was going back in time. It was so fun!

I arrived in San Antonio Saturday evening and met everyone at the hotel. The contest was Monday, so Sunday was spent doing some sightseeing, relaxing and practicing.

Our hotel was very close to many of the local attractions, so we were able to just walk to a lot of places. We all went to the Alamo together on Sunday morning. I have been once or twice, but I love history, so it is always fun to go. I grew up learning about the Alamo, so it is fun to see it in real life.


The band

Mom, me and Dad

Josh and me at the Riverwalk. There is a mall right on top of the river and then lots of restaurants and shops along the water. The water isn't very pretty (Josh said he'd give me a dollar to jump in--yea right) but I love walking along the stone paths beside the water.

You can ride a little boat along the river


My grandma joined us on Sunday evening.
Sunday night we had dinner together at a Mexican restaurant right on the Riverwalk.
Mmmmmm, Tex Mex!



This was my breakfast each morning at the hotel. These Texas waffles cracked me up! (but boy they were good!)

Monday was the competition. They marched early afternoon in the prelims and then went back late and marched in the finals. Isn't Josh the cutest drum major you ever saw?

The contest was held at the Alamodome

They totally rocked and did an awesome job!!!


Waiting for the results (it was about 10:30 pm....we were tired!)


And they won second place! Some of them were really disappointed with 2nd, but we were so proud of them! After the results, we all went back to the hotel and had a pizza party! It was great fun!

My family left San Antonio this morning, and I flew out about 3 o'clock. I arrived home to a happy husband and really happy pugs. I think they missed me! I am glad to be home, but I do really miss my family. And I am sad that Nessa couldn't be with us! Thank goodness Thanksgiving is just around the corner!

9 Comments:

  • You have an adorable family! The River Walk looks gorgeous! It is really not too far away from us in Arkansas. We should go sometime. How is the weather in Devner? Snow yet?

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:40 PM  

  • What great fun you all had! I love those TX shaped waffles! So funny! 2nd place is nothing to hang your head about. Great job to everyone!

    By Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone, at 10:01 AM  

  • WOW! That would be so much fun! I LOVE marching bands but we don't have too many of those up in Canada :(

    I saw some in May in Victoria. A lot of high school bands were up from the US for a competition. They were mostly from Washington and Oregon and were all pretty small. I guess it's more of a southern thing?

    By Blogger Christine & Giggs, at 2:37 PM  

  • I loved high school marching band. It was the best.
    Looks like you guys had fun!

    By Blogger Erin Ward, at 5:59 PM  

  • I was in band growing up in Abernathy, Texas, and it was a HUGE deal there. I love band! Played the clarinet and sat third chair. We never got to go to state, but did get to go on band trips and compete in contests, which was a load of fun.

    Glad you had such a great weekend!

    Dee
    of Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:29 PM  

  • That does look like a great weekend. The food looks yummy. I've never been there but I think this must be a great time of year to visit there. Your brother is too cute. I bet he has lots of girls calling him! Where is he going to college?

    By Blogger Sandy, at 9:38 PM  

  • I just decided I need Mexican food for lunch. Definetly. Your Tex Mex meal looks SO GOOD. And I love those little river boats. Is your brother thinking of persuing music in college? What does he play?

    By Blogger AM, at 8:35 AM  

  • Wow, what a cool trip! I went to San Antonio with my marching band when I was in high school, too - we marched in the inaugural parade when George W. Bush became governor of Texas!

    By Blogger gayle, at 2:56 PM  

  • It was so much fun looking at your pictures of our trip! I'm just sad that it all passed so quickly. Can't wait to see you guys in Denver.
    Hugs, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home