Life with Pugs

Friday, January 12, 2007

End of the week........thank goodness!

Well, it is almost 8 pm on Friday night, and my husband is sick and sleeping. What else is a girl to do but sit at her computer and blog? I know, very lame, but it beats the option of going out in the zero degree weather. I had a mug of my new favorite drink (hot chocolate with a little peppermint schnapps) and am now sitting here with a pug on my lap. Doesn't get any better than this!

I am so very thankful this week has come to an end, for it started off rough. You see, I am a dietitian, which is typically an interesting and rewarding job. I started working as a diabetes educator after college and an internship, which I am still doing, but added an additional part-time job several months ago. That job, which is at the same place I work as a diabetes educator, is running a weight loss clinic.

Most of my patients are incredible--very nice, very appreciative of what I am doing and very motivated to change their lives. But apparently there is one who is very unhappy. After they have completed the program, we give the patients evaluations. On Tuesday, I received one in the mail (unsigned with no return address) that was REALLY REALLY mean! Apparently someone feels I am too young to run the program and feels he/she cannot relate to me because I am not overweight. EXCUSE ME?! Those were only a few of the very mean things written in the evaluation. MEAN! I went to my office and cried and then called Jason and could barely talk because I was sobbing.

I just haven't had enough of those experiences yet in the workplace to toughen me up, but I am feeling much better. I have incredible co-workers and bosses who encouraged me and supported me when I was at one of my lowest points. I was so angry and hurt but was so supported by those around me. God has truly blessed me and once again has shown me he will never give me more than I can handle.

On Wednesday, the morning after all of this transpired, I read the following passage in The Message: “Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”

May my faith continue to grow, and may I see my challenges as a gift!

6 Comments:

  • Hi Leah! How fun that we share similar addictions! We love our pugs, Bison & Belle, and just for the record, they are AWESOME with our kids!

    We lived in CO Springs for almost 5 years (June 2001 through February 2005).

    We have a few other connections, just from what I could tell in the other blogs you check. My husband, John, led worship at Highland while he was working on his masters degree at ACU, so he got to work some with Mike Cope. Also, Ryan Porche's fiance's sister, Daisha, was my roommate in college. We went to Harding. Oh yeah, and my aunt is a dietitian.

    Small world! Are you enjoying the massive amounts of snow? We never got that much the whole time we lived there! But honestly, I don't miss the snow that much. :)

    By Blogger Kim Hodges, at 7:30 AM  

  • Porsche ... sorry Ryan!

    By Blogger Kim Hodges, at 7:31 AM  

  • Hi Leah. I am very "large" as you can probably tell from the pictures on my blog, and I can tell you that I prefer a dietician that is slim. I went to one (a dietician) a few years ago who was bigger than me, and it was like "what on EARTH are YOU doing giving me advice on helthy nutrition, you obviously don't follow your own advise, so why should I"?

    By Blogger Jemima Jones Beck, at 7:28 PM  

  • Aww Chin up Leah, you are capable of teaching a weight loss program, you would thing the patients would look up to a slim educator, helping them achieve their goal. Don't let them run you down. go with it, they will come to find you are a great educator and are full of life.
    As for the hot cocoa...I too add peppermint schnapps to mine...lol

    Hope Jason feels better soon...Bummer to feel under the weather...

    By Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥, at 8:27 PM  

  • Hey Leah, do not let that person make you feel bad. I'm sure you do a great job. The weight loss clinics are so hard for the teachers and the clients. I've been to one here in town and it was VERY expensive and I did well the first time I went through it and then gained weight back and then went through it again and didn't do as well. I'm telling you, the instructors were thin and they worked so HARD and they knew what they were doing and I respected them but the clients are the ones with major hang-ups! I'm one of them...I just don't have it in me to do the right thing when I should. but I'm hopeful that I will change my ways again some day. But the dietitians that run the programs work so hard and I understand it must be so frustrating to have a client who says something mean like that when you have worked so hard with them.

    By Blogger Sandy, at 9:48 PM  

  • I wrote a column once that apparently one man didn't like, because he left a message saying "I hope you go straight to hell" etc. etc.
    I play it every now and then to remind myself that people are DUMB!

    By Blogger Kara (Turskey) Vaught, at 9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home